Saturday, June 16, 2012

Daniel Has Surgery

As some of you know Daniel went in on Thursday for a Meatoplasty,   This is a 5 minute procedure to enlarge the urethral opening, they could have dilated it while he was awake, but I feel it would have been much more traumatic and I am glad we were not offered that choice.   All in all it was a good day, we took Daniel out on a mommy, daddy date to Greaters the night before while Joseph stayed at home with grandma. We wanted to be able to enjoy some time with Daniel and explain again what was going to happen the following morning.  
We were hopeful that we would have a restful night, but Joseph is teething and unfortunately was up from 3:30 in the morning on.  At 8:00 we got in the car to go to Children's Hospital in West Chester.  Daniel took a couple of special toys with him to the hospital, his teddy and bumblebee the transformer.  He was a little nervous as soon as he stepped through the front doors but once in the preop room did wonderful.  We even got to sit on the floor and play with action figures (something he did not have any of until that afternoon) and he decided he really liked Spiderman and R2D2 the robot from Star Wars.

Then they took us to the induction room.  This is where we would have to say good bye for a few minutes and where mommy's heart broke.  As a parent you have to put up a strong front for your children no matter how scared you are.  Daniel sat on daddy's lap to get his gas mask on.  Daddy had to hold around his arms, and mommy held his head still.  I watched his eyes, he was so frightened; his eyes were red and full of tears. Yet I still had to say that everything was okay and mommy and daddy were right there.  Within 30 seconds his eyes became heavy and his little body was limp.  We placed him on the gurny and kissed him and let him know we loved him and would see him soon.  I held it together until I got to the conference room, then that strong front collapsed and I wept.  I have never felt so helpless, and I hated having to put him through that.
Within 10 minutes Dr. Alam was in the room with us, he told us that Daniel was great, and was coming out of his sleep.  About 10 minutes later we were in the recovery room with our boy, it took him a good while to calm down, but he was playing with his brother within 20 minutes of coming home :)

No comments: